Thursday, January 13, 2011

Walking Away from the Riverwalk Grant

Councilman Durand is amazed.... that people would be against the Riverwalk, when they do not even know how much the Village will have to contribute to the project.  I am one of those people that he is referring to.  I have this love hate relationship with this project.  At first I thought it was the dumbest thing ever.  Then, last May about 20 of us went on a virtual walk through with the people from Prudent Engineering. It was then that I saw the beauty of its potential.  That beauty was scarred by the lack of communication between the Mayor and the River Hospital.  He just assumed that the village could put the Riverwalk on top of the hospitals seawall.  I started to hate the project when the mayor then decided to move the project and make its focal point right behind the Monticello.  I hated the project even more when for unknown reasons it was abruptly canceled.  Then the project was resurrected and placed in front of the hospitals seawall, where it was intended to be all along.  To many ups and downs, and lets put it here or there, or the off again on again scenarios that we have all heard or read about.  I can not help but distrust this project and the people that are overseeing it.  Enough about all that.

I was amazed at what I saw at last nights Town Board Meeting.  What I witnessed was not so much about the Riverwalk.  What amazed me is that without much "effort" a member from each of the village and town boards shared something.  Not the shared services that I have been harping on for so long.  They shared a common concern and created a bond between the two boards that I hope will continue to grow.  Kudos to Councilman Durand and Trustee Jury........


Riverwalk .... Different Slant from Jim Cummings on Vimeo.


I received this comment via email:

Re your latest blog - if I was Jim Durand there would be no reason not to be for the Riverwalk seeing as he isn't one of the village property owners who would pay for it.