Tuesday, July 29, 2008

Remember the Lemonade Stands?

I remember when I was a young kid growing up and our parents wanted us to be enterprising and learn the value of a dollar. Starting out selling koolade or lemonade.........we had signs to advertise what ever we were selling. We learned the concept of costs of goods sold and other economic 101 lessons.

The next generation is no different than we were. It seems that a couple of local kids wanted to start a venture. They crafted bracelets and necklaces............nice ones too, maybe a bit primitive but the "jewelry" was not the typical stuff you find downtown. After all they were only kids in our community curious about what drives our tourist town.

They set up a stand with chalk board signs that advertised what they were selling. They had their grand opening on wednesday and were shut down the following day on thursday. That was short lived now wasn't it?

So who shut them down? The local police responding to a complaint is probably the cause of the closure! Why would someone want to shut those kids down. What business owner would feel threatened enough to lodge a formal complaint? The Village Police told the young entrepreneurs that they could not sell their wares and they also could not have a sandwich board [their chalk boards] because they did not apply for either to the Village Board.

I talked to Trustee Drake and Mayor Robb about this situation. They seemed shocked that this would happen. That was on sunday! I was expecting to hear back from the Mayor. I wonder what the hold up is? I wonder if they think I would not have a place to tell this story?

Welcome to my Blog!

pg

11 comments:

Anonymous said...

Thanks for having me PG

Hammonite said...

Okay PG I am here as Hammonite !!! I guess Lyndy Lou is smarter than I !

Anonymous said...

Hey PG...

Thanks for getting this started.

Crabby

Anonymous said...

Hey Pg
Good luck with your new endevour. This will be fun
Lemonade stands?????
Who would set the village PD on a bunch of kids?
Lets hope the board addresses this with common sense, lucky they have Mrs. Roy to guide them!
x mayor

Anonymous said...

I have given this one some thought and a couple things come to mind .

1) Is the community garage sale held early in the tourist season so it doesnt conflict with area retail business ?

2) With that being said, I wonder what would happen if someone on the main drag held the "kingkamayamaya" of all garage sales during say Pirates week ? Would the same person reponsible for blowing the kids in do the same thing to the garage sale ?

3) This could also be an instance of residential neighbors being "un-neighborly ".


Hammonite

Anonymous said...

Truthfully, I can see this happening. I think I can remember seeing some kids a couple days ago selling something by their house.

I seem to think I have seen someone selling jewelry out in front of their house on Walton Street for a couple of years now. Wonder what the difference is.

I am just waiting for the day that kids, groups, and organizations will have to get a permit to do a fundraiser. It will probably be a NYS Law.

Boater said...

I figured you would start something soon. Did you get the DTs after abay shut down? Seriously, good job. Hate to see the progress that was made before come to a standstill.
Boater ( Ron)

Anonymous said...

Good luck with the new site. It should be better then the last one!!!!!

Hammonite said...

Will they be issuing Arrest Warrants and rounding up all the local AVON LADIES, ,MARY KAY , AMWAY , NIKKEN, LOGENBURGER BASKETS , TUPPERWARE REPS. PAMPERED CHEF REPS , ETC ETC ETC ????

Afan44 said...

Hey PG
Good luck with the new site. I am not a regular poster, but like reading the posts and keep up with the VB activities
afan44

Anonymous said...

The sandwich boards were a topic at VB meeting awhile back. The board was concerned about tripping hazards and the like but were very reluctant to apply it to all the shops and restraunts downtown. They were going to try and apply it to guy who did request a permit to sell stuff in front of his house. I do not know if they gave the permit later but the sandwich board issue is something that they want to selectively apply