Thursday, April 2, 2009

Why did the VB violate the open meeting laws?

Good question!
Here is the reason:  A 3 page email was sent [3/29/09 @ 1:45 am] by a Village trustee  to Mr. X.  The email explained  the VB's position regarding the Riverwalk on all the comments that I made and comments made by others in the forum at abay.com.  It also gives details regarding the VB's displeasure with WWNY reporter Rachel Kent and former VB trustee Richard Drake and the interview that most of us saw on TV.  Mr X thought that if I could see the explanations from the VB trustee I might change some of my opinions and maybe influence others.  So without the permission of the VB trustee, Mr X showed up at my door [3/29/09 @ 1 pm] with the 3 page email and presented it to me.  Keep in mind that I did not ask Mr X for this email, nor did I really want it.  I figured it was misinformation.  I did accept the 3 page email and read it.  It was full of details, however I am not sure if those details were accurate or not.  I asked Mr X if he thought the VB trustee would be mad if he/she knew that I had this email?  He said no, just do not post anything from it that might give the trustee's identity away.  I said ok, then I told Mr X, just so you know I am going to email the trustee to let him/her know that I am in possession of the email.  Mr X said no problem.

I sent an email to the trustee.  Lets just say that his/her response was of grave concern.  I assured the trustee that I would not make public his/her email because the subject line said: my confidential response to Chris's/Jim's posts [ not public information].  In the first paragraph is this statement by the trustee:  My name can not be associated with this information.  I honored the VB trustee request even though I was not the original recipient of the email. 

Evidently the trustee confessed to the mayor and the other VB members that he/she had sent this email to Mr X and it ended up in enemy hands [ me].  The VB decided to call  the  meeting on tuesday march 31st to stop any more discussions on this blog or the forum or you kitchen table for that matter.  Nobody was notified because the VB did not want anyone to be at the meeting to ask questions.  The VB sensed that public concern over the Riverwalk stimulus money was already beyond their [VB] control.  The VB held the meeting with the 2  reporters.  That is how you got the information that the VB wanted to spoon feed you through the 2 newspapers  That is why the VB violated the open meeting laws and denied your rights to attend that meeting.

I played fair with the VB trustee and it did not pay off.  The trustee was sworn to secrecy to not contact me or anyone else about the meeting on 3/31/09.  So now I am telling you what happened but I am still honoring that trustees request to remain anonymous.........

No comments: