Sunday, December 16, 2012

River Hospital CONVENIENT CARE

An Ounce Of Prevention....

I woke up Wednesday morning with a slight headache. But I headed on to work figuring it was a sinus headache.  By noon, I had a few joint aches and felt a fever coming.  I was home by one and in bed shortly after.  As I slipped in and out of grogginess, I could feel a growing fever and the grumblings of something intestinal happening.

By Thursday morning I was miserable, with chills, sweats, dizziness, and a chronic dry cough.  My wife insisted that I go see the doctor.  I stood my manly ground and refused medical treatment. Later that afternoon I was sitting in an exam room of the new River Convenient Care.  Marcia, my nurse was asking me some questions while she was taking my "vitals" and she smiled and said "James you have a fever of a 101.4, I will be right back with the Resident Physicians Assistant".

Minutes later, the R.P.A. came through the door, He introduced himself as Brad.  He listened to my breathing and asked some more questions.  Brad then told me that because of the timing of my symptoms I was  within the window of opportunity for post flu treatment.  BUT, we have to make sure that what you have is really the flu and not something else.  Out of the corner of my eye, I noticed Marcia was fiddling with a plastic bag.  She had this sad look on her face as she said "I just want to apologize for what I am about to do to you" and then she pulled out two culture swabs attached to really long sticks.  She went onto say that a culture was needed from each sinus.  I asked her if she ever had to do this twice and she assured me that she never missed. 

Wow that was an interesting sensation!  The swabs were sealed and sent down to the local lab for analysis.  15 minutes later Brad returned to the room and told me I tested positive for the flu.  He then prescribed Tamiflu which I was told to take twice a day for 5 days.  Brad urged me to come back if I had any other complications.  I promised that I would.

I walked out feeling better already.  I started the Tamaflu regimen and by Saturday morning I felt almost human.  So what is the purpose of this post?  I like to poke fun at myself because I really sometimes think I am in total control.  Even though I know I am not. Another reason is to let you know about the new River Hospital Convenient Care located on the second floor [482-1125].  Although my illness was not serious, sometimes when you have the flu, one does entertain the notion of quick and painless death.  However, my visit to the Convenient Care was quick and all the staff that I encountered were pleasant and professional.

Is Worth A Pound Of Cure

Next year I will get an early flu shot
Next year I will get an early flu shot
Next year I will get an early flu shot
Next year I will get an early flu shot
Next year I will get an early flu shot
Next year I will get an early flu shot.....