Wednesday, November 12, 2008

VPD Station Renovation

I was told by the VB that anyone of us could have gone into the VPD Station and asked to look around to see what renovations were planned.  That sounds nice but........what would be the chances of catching the Chief there, afterall he could be off that day or out on tour of the streets.  Nice gesture by the VB but I do not buy it.  That is why I asked at the last meeting [I was ignored] then I asked again at last nights meeting......Can we just take a few minutes and go and look and listen to what the plans are for renovation.  I wanted to have a better understanding of how this money was going to be spent and was it actually needed.  I was surprised when my request was honored and off we went, about 8 of us to the VPD station.  The entrance to the station opens into a small lobby with a counter at the opposite side.  The counter looks like something you might see at a deli.  Not what I would expect to find in a Police station even a small station like this one.  The evidence room is a small closet,  janitors have bigger closets than this.  It is loaded with articles confiscated, that need to be inventoried until they are mandated as no longer needed by the county.  Some of these items have been in evidence for years and probably will remain there until who knows when.  It became clear to me that this station was in need of some serious work.  I did find out that the station was originally designed by B/C Architects.........what were they thinking.  The place is as open as Mayberry's Station, the only thing missing was Andy and Barney.  I could go on and on about the deficiencies of the design but I won't bore you........just listen to the first 20 minutes of the audio.
*************************************************************
We returned to the meeting and I heard the mayor say something about that was fun, we need to do more field trips.  Attorney Gebo muttered something about lets take a field trip to a pizza place next. As a result of all this, I can see that the work is needed................no more comments by me about this project..............well almost.........lets just hope that the project gets completed on time with a reasonable amount of billed labor...........
Anyone want to comment?

No comments: