Wednesday, September 2, 2009

Caucus Analysis

The dust has settled and I have had time to think about the days leading up to and including the night of the caucus itself.  Interesting concept.....the Democratic Caucus.  For years the village has had caucuses with little Dem. participation.  The chairman, and the Dems who were running for positions and maybe 1 or 2 spectators, and that was it.  This years caucus attracted 39 village Dems as well as some town Dems who just happened to arrive early [ town caucus was scheduled after the village].  There were a few non dems that attended, which brought the total number of spectators close to 50.  50...... which is 10 times the normal number.  I could tell the Chair of the Caucus was excited about the turn out.  I also know that he was a little nervous.  Richard Drake did a great job and conducted a fair caucus. 

I have been to a couple of village caucuses and  was surprised that some very long time locals admitted that they have never been to a caucus.    It was exhilarating to see such a turn out of spectators.  I say spectators because compared to how the Republicans do there thing, our caucus seemed like a boxing match. 

The incumbent mayor used about 20 seconds of his allotted 5 minutes to speak to the crowd.  Then  it was my turn.......I used all of my 5 minutes and then borrowed 46 seconds from him.  I did make some observations while I was speaking.  There was a lady in the first row.  Not sure if she was trying to distract me, but she did catch my peripheral attention.  She was whinnying like Mr Ed and her mannerisms  reminded me of someone who was having a seizure.  She fidgeted in her chair and kept looking to the people seated around her......pointing  and thumbing in my direction.  She seemed to be saying something like ......see....I told you so.......he is an bleeeep.....  While the incumbent spoke, nobody disrespected or tried to distract  him!  Oh well......someday I will speak to this lady and let her know that she was a disgrace to the caucus.

I strongly suggested to the chairman that from now on, the Democratic party should provide any refreshments.  The candidates should bring themselves and nothing else. Nor should a candidate announce that they have brought water and all are welcomed to it.......[that happened during the voting process].  Even though one of the clerks showed the box was empty, kind of like a magicians assistant............  A card board shield should be made so that the clerks can not peek at the name being written down.  Other than that, I had a great time at the caucus and I hope to see you there next year and more importantly in 2 years..........


One last thought........to bad the TI Sun did not report on this caucus......maybe they were not there [wink wink]

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Quit crying Jim....you lost, get over it and move on.

jim cummings said...

wasn't crying.....just pointing out some mutual observations....