Tuesday, February 25, 2014

Going From Bad To Worse

I am telling this story as a way to express my gratitude to those who came to my rescue on 2.24.14.

I started my day with a severe case of sciatica. I made it work but as the morning went on I could not stand the pain.  I made an appointment for 1:15 at the River Hospital Convenient Care.  Leaving work at noon I was experiencing severe pain that took my breath away with each step I took to get to my car.  I drove along 81 north feeling as tho I just ran a marathon.  The pinched sciatic nerve shot excruciating  pains all the way down my left leg.

Within minutes my breathing went from labored to short and choppy.  Several minutes later my diaphragm felt like it was rolling up under my rib cage.  My arms and legs went numb and I started to get light headed and woozy.  My judgement was now impaired as I tried to make a decision of what to do.  Stay on course to Alex Bay or pull over on the 81 breakdown lane and hope for help.

I started to panic as my hands began to shake uncontrollably.  I knew that continuing north or pulling over would both be dangerous.  I vaguely remember my decision to get off of 81 at the Bradley St exit and head to a place where people knew me, Blue Seal Feed Store.

Finally making it to Blue Seal Feed parking lot, I started to honk my horn to get anyone's attention.  By now my hands were shaking and useless and I could hardly form words except for help.  Two ladies had pulled into the store parking lot and noticed that I was in trouble.  Without hesitation they called 911.  I remember only bits and pieces as they asked me questions that 911 needed to know.  By now my panic was out of control as I was sure what I was experiencing was a heart attack.

Time seemed to slow down and speed up creating a confused state of mind for me.  My next recollection was the First Responder asking me questions and slipping an oxygen mask over my face.  I felt the panic decrease and my ability to breath increase. I found myself in an ambulance and then transported to Samaritan E.R, where I was treated and released.

My doctor told me that the pain from walking caused me to gasp with each step.  This put me into a hyperventilated state.  Never experiencing that before, I then experienced a panic attack, thinking that I was having a heart attack.  I was told that each by itself are very scary and experiencing both would rock anyone's world.

As I said at the beginning of this post, my intention was to thank the unknown ladies that contacted 911. And to express my gratitude to the first Responders and the EMT's. Thank you all for coming to my rescue. 

No comments: