Saturday, April 4, 2009

Bloggers are News Media TOO!

I was at a funeral today and had a chance to speak with a long time friend that works for Senator Aubertine. I was asking him about the Open Meeting Laws aka Sunshine Law and the idea of  transparency in the local government.  I only had to briefly describe the details surrounding the VB meeting on 3/31/09.  First of all, my friend did not "buy" the emergency or special meeting status that Trustee Sweet mentioned earlier.  I told him I didn't either.  I asked him about notifying the news papers as part of the notice.  My friend said why did your VB  notify the papers........they could not get that info about the meeting published in the paper in time for the public to see.  Then my friend said something to me that kind of astounded me.............Jim, you and bloggers ARE the news media.............tell your board that they should have let you get the word out to the public about the meeting.  I laughed a little and told him that the VB did not want me or anyone at that meeting.  I  told him the rest of the story..........

No comments: